This week I have been getting assigned various things to do. So this week has been very busy:
1. I have been doing PCRs. Basically we cut off the tips of some mice's tails to help determine their genotypes so basically genetic makeup. It takes a couple days to do this. I don't mind doing this but it takes a lot of focus to make sure I don't mix up anything because there can be many samples.
2. Experiments: I'm helping out with the PTSD project by helping with a few experiments. We inject the mice with a drug and an hour later we run the experiment. For the experiment the mice are placed in a little cage. After time a tone is played. The next time the tone is played the mouse gets a little shock. Over time the mouse will stop moving, or "freeze" which shows that it is scared. The freezing will eventually occur to just the tone. This is a Pavlovian type experiment. I'm learning how to "score" the freezing this week because next week I will be running 16 mice by myself through this experiment.
3. Data: One of the experiments had electrodes on a mouse's head so whenever neurons fired at various points, data was collected. I have been helping the Post Doc rearrange the data. So basically I do a lot of stuff in excel. I copy and paste between 3 different documents to get the end result. I believe I finished the last data project for a while.
Tomorrow I will be doing Day 2 of the experiment that was started today. After that I will be doing another PCR followed by sectioning brains (slicing brains).